Welcome to aaron chua make money blog

Hi, welcome to my blog. In this part of my world, I talked about how to achieve financial freedom by learning how to make money online through creating sites and earning from them.

Below are some current and past make money projects that details my learning journey.

My current experiment in making 50 amazon site niches. If you have not been following this challenge, best place to start is this resource page for the amazon challenge, that lists all the articles that I have written so far.

My experiment in making 1000 a month through adsense in 9 months.

If you came here looking for low cost startup ideas, here are 140 startup ideas that you can browse through.


Friday 27 March 2009

Business models for public goods (continued)

It has been 2 months since I last posted on this topic. One reason is my inability to find the relevant discussions on the Web (if there is any) that relates to the topic. Without external stimulus, it is hard to contribute anything further than what I have.

The drought has ended with Doc Searls post on his PayChoice project, which is an innovation in demand-based pricing.

PayChoice will create a “buy button”-simple payment system to allow readers, listeners and viewers to pay whatever they like, at their discretion, for whatever media products they use.

One of the interesting concept he talks about is to:

Provide ways for individuals to look back through their media usage histories, inform themselves about what they have been enjoying, and to determine how much it is worth to them and..... to Stigmatize non-payment for worthwhile media goods.

This is a great innovation and for someplace like US , it definitely make sense. I have suspicions however of it working in this part of the world. We are so used to actively seeking free stuff that I wonder how many of us will pay for it. In fact, we might be stigmatized for paying :).

I think for digital goods including media, converting them into service models make more sense. Something that is scare and creates unique experiences, like being able to communicate directly with your favorite bands etc. That is why startups like TopSpinMedia are very exciting as they have the potential to become the infrastructure for the goods-to-service model.

However, having so much power in the hands of one company is always unnerving. What if topspin becomes the next publisher, exerting monopolic power over its artists? I would prefer a more open and loosely couple model. One where anybody can become a topspinmedia: a wordpress for topspin.